man cave n. A dedicated area of a house, such as a basement, workshop, or garage, where a man can be alone or socialize with his friends.
Men are not your “typical’ decorators. They don’t care about throw pillows or which of the 10 shades of green you are thinking of for the bathroom. Start talking about their own turf however and they’ve got ideas galore! Guys need an exclusive space to hang out in their homes — a refuge where they can enjoy what they love and blow off some steam. Yabba Dabba Do!!!!
According to a recent survey by Servicemagic.com, 40% of homeowners say that their home already has a man cave and another 13% said a man cave is either in the planning stage or in the process of being built. “These aren’t ordinary recreation rooms,” said David Lupberger, a home improvement specialist with ServiceMagic.com. “These are rooms that fall solely under the jurisdiction of the man of the house.”
No wonder DIY Network even has a show called “Man Caves” now. This Father’s Day, there are many different projects that a GIRL CAN DO to show him you understand and give him some refuge.
1) Walk through the space and visualize what he wants his Man Cave to look like. Have realistic expectations of the space’s function.
2) Pick an object (pool table, jukebox, sports) that he likes as your inspiration in choosing the overall look and color in the man cave.
3) Measure the space (length, width, height) Draw out the details on paper so building and arranging will be easier.
4) Make a list of all the materials and tools you will need to accomplish the task.
5) Make a step-by step list of what needs to be done so you can stay on track.
Some easy Man Cave DIY Ideas that you can start with:
1) Install tool or garage organization with slat walls or storage cabinets
2) Install peel and stick vinyl flooring in his work space or how about green Astroturf to emulate a golfing range?
3) Install new shelving for his man collectibles or create a new media storage unit
4) Paint the area in his favorite team’s color with a few memorabilia sprinkled in
5) Install a new home theater surround sound system or mount a flat panel TV
6) Install tin ceiling tiles to create the feel of an old cabin
7) Don’t forget the beer fridge and big leather chair!
Hopefully, this gives you a place to start and let the creative juices flow. Need help in the DIY for any of these ideas? Just ask and I’ll try to help!