1920′s home renovation portfolio of before and after photos (kitchen)

One of the biggest transformations occurred in the kitchen.  I loved the custom built cabinets, but there was only one.  I also loved the idea of converting the “indoor/outdoor utility room” to be fully enclosed so that I could add a dishwasher to modernize the space.  It was a big job, but here is what was done:

Demo:  removed all pine tongue and groove slat walls, relocated back door from its current spot and removed half window, used Craigslist to dispose of all old appliances, reconfigure stainless counter top to fit a modern sink

Here is what I started with; in this photo you can see the slat walls, the back door in its current location and the lack of an additional upper cabinet:

I began by demoing all the slat wall and stripping the cabinets:

I began building new upper cabinets to match the originals (my first time to build cabinets!) and relocated the counter top to receive a new sink and installed new sheetrock:

The back door was relocated and the half window cut out:

Another first, polished concrete counters tops for the new lower cabinets built in the utility area and adjacent to the stove:

Now for the finished result.  More cabinets with new polished concrete counter tops, new appliances in including a dishwasher addition, new lighting, new switches and outlets, fresh paint including the new color for the cabinets, new marble and stainless steel backsplash, refinished hardwood floors

The newly incorporated utility area:

2 thoughts on “1920′s home renovation portfolio of before and after photos (kitchen)

    1. Thank you for the compliment. I also appreciate your great question! I had plenty of hiccups to overcome along the way. To name a few:

      1) Reverse engineering the existing stainless counter to fit a new sink. Countertops and sinks back then were not as deep as they are today. I accomplished this by adding a 2 x 4 under the front of the sink along the counter to let the weight of the sink have an anchor there. I also added a 1 x 4 along the entire back length of the counter top. This in total, gave me an additional 2-3″ to work with that I didn’t have before. It took quite a bit of unnecessary time if I were to just start over with a new countertop,but I really loved the stainless and wanted to make it work.
      2) I had never built a cabinet before. I learned that I could “cheat” the square a little by using several “L” brackets in each area. The brackets help keep it square and provides extra strength in the overall design.

      I will be renovating the adjacent duplex unit soon and from what I learned here, I will completely start over with a new countertop design, but I will repeat what I accomplished with the cabinets.

Leave a Reply to sam holborn Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>